ABOUT WATSON MILLS & DESIGN
Founded in 1978, Watson Mills & Design (WMD) is solely focused on the Monumental Residential Market and advancing architectural millwork design for the most discerning project teams and owners across the United States.
We offer leading design resources, engineering, manufacturing, finishing, installation services, and solutions-based partnership that can bring your most ambitious vision to life.
The Drafting Engineer position will provide layouts of wood and mixed material residential home interior designs at WMD. The individual must be professional, ethical, reliable, knowledgeable and punctual. This position will impact the profitability of the Company by adding value.
- The primary function of a Drafting Engineer is to interact with the Project Manager, Engineering Manager, Plant Manager as well as potential and current customers, obtain information required for the proper layout and placement of operations.
- Promote the image of WMD and the value that its products, services, and employees bring to the marketplace.
- Responsible for organization, implementation, execution of the shop drawing for specific projects ensuring consistency with company standards, commitments and goals.
- BS in computer science, drafting, design or equivalent work experience.
- At least five (5) years related experience.
- Detailed knowledge of major software applications, including Windows 10, Microsoft Suite, Internet Explorer and other browsers, INNERGY or other ERP or CRM software, and CAD/CAM applications such as AutoCAD and Microvellum
- Skills and knowledge to keep all lines of communication open within the office and from external sources. Ability to work with other employees.
- Creative problem-solving skills, and recognition of the importance of keeping up with industry trends: security, hardware, software, etc.
- A U.S. citizen or a legal resident alien. I9 requirements must be satisfied.
A Drafting Engineer receives full operating authority from the Engineering Manager to fulfill the responsibilities of the position as described in this job description. Accountability for the success of the assigned duties and tasks falls upon the individual.
The Drafting Engineer reports to the Engineering Manager. Most design work will be in support of the and will be for optimal quality and efficiency, therefore there will be frequent interface with the Project Manager, Preproduction Manager and functional leads in the wood working plant.
- The Drafting Engineers & CAD/CAM Designers report to the Engineering Manager.
- The Drafting Engineers & CAD/CAM Designers must collaborate with the Project, Plant, and Engineering Manager.
The work will be performed in a temperature controlled, non-smoking office. The Drafting Engineer is expected to work forty hours a week; excluding a mandatory, unpaid, pre-established, one half-hour lunch period, and two 15-minute breaks that will be coordinated with other employees to maintain office coverage. The available work hours are flexible, but normally extend from 7:30 AM to 4:30 PM, Monday through Friday.
The responsibilities of the position may require attending meetings, trade shows or completing tasks before or after normal working hours as authorized by the CEO.
The nature of the position allows access to confidential financial, business development, marketing, and sales information. Company policy requires that all information of this type be regarded as confidential and not for communication, discussion, or other distribution to any unauthorized person. The dissemination of any of this information to any persons other than those authorized or approved of by the Owners shall be considered as grounds for immediate termination, and considered as a violation of the Company’s right to privacy.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by the employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- BODY POSITIONS: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit for prolonged periods of time. S/he may also be required to stand and/or walk for long periods of time while completing other duties and responsibilities.
- BODY MOVEMENTS: The employee must have a full range of body movements including the use of his/her hands to finger, handle, and feel objects such as computer equipment. The ability to bend the body, to reach for objects, and to crouch when needed are also required.
- STRENGTH: The employee must have the ability to occasionally lift to 30 pounds.
- SPATIAL: The ability to visualize three-dimensional objects from a flat drawing on paper, such as office layout & elevation drawings, etc. Mental abilities are required to analyze data for efficiency, accuracy and to quickly determine optimal operational capability.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Position is responsible for the accurate design and programming of all material and machines, including machine time.
- Lead the shop drawing efforts starting after the handoff from project management through fabrication.
- Actively engage engineers, project managers, shop foreman, shop leads and ownership in the engineering process to ensure project and shop standards are understood and met. This is a collaborative process.
- In conjunction with Project Manager develop a project specific drawing series plan.
- Maintain the drawing schedule with the current information as the drawings are submitted and approved.
- Review the contract drawings to thoroughly understand the scope of each item prior to drawing.
- Review the scope of work provided by estimating to ensure that scope is indicated properly.
- Coordinate the shop drawings with all necessary information such as appliances, electrical, mechanical and plumbing requirements, etc.
- Generate RFI’s for necessary information need to produce shop drawings.
- Generate specific drawings for outsource work such as glass and steel.
- Coordinate with outside vendors on details for outsource scopes of work such as glass and steel.
- Coordinate with outside drafter, if necessary on the project.
- Maintain an organized electronic file of all drawings, ASIs, PRs, etc.
- Assist in CNC programing as needed.
- Maintain an attitude towards continuous improvement, never settling for “Good Enough”.
- Develop designs and layouts illustrating the machining, drilling, and other manufacturing operations necessary to complete the cabinetry or millwork design.
- Research new software relating to design with an interest in improving efficiency
- Research new cutting tool technology.
- Tool ordering for C.A.P. system and special tooling.
- Enter data into the INNERGY ERP and assist in the scheduling of work flow.
MEASURES OF PERFORMANCE
The Drafting Engineer is deemed to be performing in an acceptable manner when the following have been accomplished:
- Design work for the internal & external customers is delivered on time. The Project Manager, Preproduction Manager and Plant Manager are internal customers.
- Designs are not provided until a Purchase Order and traveler has been received.
- You are expected to provide excellent customer service and response.
- Acquire knowledge of the Company’s capabilities so that customer and manufacturing questions and problems are resolved.
- Answer telephone in a professional manner. Often you may be our first important point of customer contact.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- The Drafting Engineer salary range is $55,000 – $75,000.
- Health, Dental, Vision, Log-term, and Short-term Disability Insurance available after no more than three months of employment.
- Generous employer contribution towards Health Insurance.
- 401(k) offered after no more than three months of employment with up to a 5% match; employee is 100% vested immediately.